Friday, June 16, 2006

What a Morning!

What a music selection this morning!

I have well over 11,000 songs on my iPod at this point. Some songs are awesome, some songs are great, some are ok, some are "a'ight" and some, well, they are there...

This morning was the best random line up I have ever heard in my iPod life....

I hit "Shuffle Songs" walking to the train stop....

First, the ghostly voice of Malcolm X greets me;

Have you forgotten? That once we were brought here we were robbed of our names, robbed of our language, we lost religion our culture our God, and many of us... by the way we act... We even lost our minds...

Chuck D cuts in like a lightning bolt...

Here it is BAMMM
And you say Goddamn
This is the dope jam
But lets define the term called dope
And you think it mean funky now no
Here is a true tale....

Waiting for the train to arrive I can not help but close my eyes and bop my head.

Second, I am in my seat now....

Piano... maracas... YES... Mais Que Nada from Sergio Mendes and '66.

Next, double guitar, the first band to use it, yes, it is the Priest... Judas Priest... The Green Manalishi (with the Two Pronged Crown). My lips purse into a Sgt. Slaughter scowl as I look out the window.

Next... we come down a notch... fiddle and guitar... Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn with Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man. Damn she has a sexy voice.

Next... WOAH! More maracas.... Cuban Pete by Desi Arnaz. I sit and think how cool it would be if adults had "clubs" they could go to and be entertained without trying to act like a teenager. Suits, cocktails, classy bands, little lamps on the tables with tassles....

Next...piano intro, the single guitar, "Look, if you had one shot..." Yes, it is Eminem and Lose Yourself. Not his hugest fan, but, this song kicks ass.

Next...80's punk.. Oh yeah... Suicidal Tendencies with Institutionalized. I can't help but smile in delight.

And now for something completely different... The fingerpickin' sounds of the great Jimmie Rogers singin' Blue Yodel No. 8 (Mule Skinner Blues). I am tempted to stick my thumbs under my armpits.

Next... I can name that tune in one note... Wheel in the Sky by Journey. They got cheezy toward the end, but, this was a great song. Now all I need is a Camaro and I am in 80's Long Island Heaven.

Then, just like that, I am back in my aforementioned club... Perez Prado with Mambo No. 5.

Then, just like that, I am not in that club... The smooth execution of Follow the Leader by Eric B. & Rakim makes me feel like I am in a spy novel.

WHAM! Look Back and Laugh by Minor Threat brings me back to those days in High School when I was drinking beers at some rich girl's parent's beach bungalow.

WHAM! Carmina Burana fills by ears. To this day, I can not hear this song without thinking: Guards...Knights....Squires....Prepare for Battle!

More double guitar.... OH YEAH... A double shot of Priest this morning, Heading Out to the Highway. I am doing a half-inch head bang...

Well I've said it before, and I'll say it again
You get nothing for nothing: expect it when
You're backseat driving, and your hands ain't on the wheel
It's easy to go along with the crowd,
And find later on that your say ain't allowed
Oh that's the way to find what you've been missing

And, just like that, I am BACK in my imaginary club, for the third time, when Ibrahim Ferrer's Ay, Candela has me tapping my fingers and biting my bottom lip.

Next, my heart takes a step back and mellows out... Dave Brubeck's Take Five gives me a smooth, relaxed repose...

What is that? am I at a Giants game? No, I am on the train and it is Hells Bells by AC/DC.

I'm rolling thunder, pourin rain
I'm comin' on like a hurricane
White lightning's flashing across the sky
You're only young but you're gonna die

It is all I can do to keep myself from singing out loud.

I am reeling...Jimi Hendrix.... All Along the Watchtower... I am looking around to see if anyone else could POSSIBLY be hearing this line up!

Blinking in disbelief as to how cool this has been... guitar picking again... John Lee Hooker... Boom Boom Boom.

Curtis Mayfield Pusherman is followed by Fell in Love with a Girl by the White Stripes. Aerials by System of a Down is followed by Wake Up by Rage Against the Machine. Unchain my Heart by Ray Charles is followed by Smashing Pumpkins' Zero... and... as I am pulling into Penn Station...

Nineteen-ninety-mutha-fuckin'-one...
NWA back in this mutha fucka yo
taking out all you commercialized-ass niggaz
and we on this laid back track
and we doin' this one kind smooth...

Damn.... My day can only go down from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home