Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Captain America is soon to be dead.



Saddens me a bit. I mean, Captain America is, well, Captain Fricking America!!! How can he die? Want to know how? He gets shot, by bullets.

Let me repeat that for confirmation.

Captain America gets shot and dies.

I mean, am I to believe that Red Skull, after all these years, was just sitting in his lair one day, tossing back a Warsteiner Dunkel, when he stood up and exclaimed "OH.... A BULLET!!!" and proceeded to contact a sniper who can hit a walking man at a couple of hundred yards? In other words, anyone who qualified as a "sharpshooter" in basic could have taken out the American paragon of Righteousness and Democracy. That is simply ignoble.
I always recognized the fact that Cap had no "super" powers to withstand bullets. However, just in terms of probability alone, he would have been hit by a bullet a long time ago. Notwithstanding this fact, I suspended my disbelief because I believed that Captain America was, somehow, protected from this sort of thing because of what he stood for. In other words, his virtue (and status of protagonist) protected him. To kill Cap like this is just plain anti-climactic.
Captain America deserved more.

2 Comments:

Blogger rukrusher said...

In the comic series, Rogers was to stand trial for defying a superhero registration law passed after a hero's tragic mistake causes a 9/11-like event.

This is basically the plot of the Incredibles. Who stole it from whom?

Besides, death in comic books is rarely fatal. They just reinvent the character somewhere else.

March 07, 2007 3:54 PM  
Blogger John S. said...

I know it is rarely fatal. However, I just think it was a crappy way to do away with an icon.

March 08, 2007 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home