Monday, September 25, 2006

The Tao of Me


Steve McQueen and I have yet another thing in common.

I was in San Francisco this weekend and, much to my pleasure, was able to upgrade my rental car to a Mustang convertible.

So, there I am, cruising around the streets of San Francisco in a Mustang and I find myself at the top of Taylor street. Knowing that Taylor Street is one of the more famous streets from the chase scene from Bullitt, I gunned it.

Quite quickly, I became increasingly aware of the fact that my brakes, and the friction generated by rubber hitting road, was quite insufficient to stop my car as I barreled down the hill. I caught air. Real air, not "my shocks are not as compressed as they usually are" air.
I just managed to get my car to a halt at the bottom of the hill when a nurse on a bicycle flew right in front of me. If I had been ONE BIT less able to bring my car to a halt, she would have been hamburger. My wife was screaming the whole time.

It was awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home