Monday, September 11, 2006

Today..on a very special news broadcast...


"Be ye angry and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath" Ephesians 4:26

I know... I am being opportunistic with my quotation of St. Paul in this regard. However, I am only human.

The last couple of days have brought about an upcropping of various 9/11 "remembrance" TV shows. They all have the same commercial, using the same voice actor they use for "...a very special Will & Grace..." The tenor of all of these shows is of sorrow, sadness, wreath laying, somber reflection and a dash of closure.

I am sorry. I am not buying it.

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I saw the second plane hit with my own eyes and remember standing on a sea wall in Sea Bright, NJ with my skin rising up in gooseflesh in the morning air. You know what I don't remember? I do not remember feeling sorrow or sadness. I do not remember wanting to lay a wreath. I sure as hell do not remember any feelings of somber reflection and I know for sure that I would never feel closure. But, here we are, only five years later, and the media is telling us, in a velvet gloved way, to "get over it".

No thank you. I have a right to my anger, and I don't want anybody telling me I shouldn't be angry, that it's not nice to be angry, and that something's wrong with me because I get angry. I will never stop being angry about that day, no matter how many heart-felt movies are made about it or how many times that "very special Will & Grace" voice actor tells me that it is a day to "remember" and to "grieve".

2 Comments:

Blogger rukrusher said...

I am beginning to think this blog has a conservative slant.

September 12, 2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger John S. said...

Sorry, 100% objective.

September 13, 2006 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home